Maui has sooooo many good food options…seriously, we’ve been to Maui 8 times and I can only think of one epically bad meal in all of those 8 trips. It was Beach Bums…don’t go there…it’s bad! But, like I said there are so many good choices that it can often be hard to narrow down your options when it comes meal time. So, in my next few blogs I will try to break them down into categories. I do love a fancy meal…I am part time foodie…married to a foodie…and Thing 2 is an aspiring chef and full-on foodie…so there is that. But my favorite types of restaurants are more casual and dive-like, with dishes I can try to recreate at home! So, without further ado…in order…here’s my
Top 5 Dive Restaurants In Maui
- Da Kitchen. This place has been featured on Food Network’s Diner’s, Drive-Ins and Dives. This is down-home cooking done island style in monstrous proportions! It’s located just a mile or two from the airport and is a regular stop for us, usually as a last meal before we head to the airport on our way back home. It’s a greasy little spoon with no view, but OMG I can not even begin to describe how amazing the food is here! If it were sitting in a location with a view…you’d never be able to get a table…like ever! We have ordered lots of different items from here, but hubs and Things 1-3 swear that the Saimin is possibly one of the greatest things to eat on the island. Thing 4 is picky and always orders a burger because that’s a safe bet for him. But for me it’s this…the Loco Moco! So, Loco Moco is available on lots of menu’s on the island…it’s a local favorite. It’s basically a hamburger topped with a fried egg and then smothered with gravy, served on or with rice. Yes, I know that may not sound appetizing to some of you…but I promise, it is HEAVEN!!!! At Da Kitchen that onion and mushroom gravy is to die for and it’s served with potato-macaroni salad, another island treat that can not be missed! This meal is so epically big…I’m pretty sure 3 grown adults could be satisfied from it…so feel free to split this one with whoever your dining with or box it up and take it back to your room for leftovers if you’re still staying on the island after this meal. No matter what you do while you’re on your Maui vacation…DO NOT MISS DA KITCHEN!!!!
- Down The Hatch. Down The Hatch has been featured on the Travel Channel’s Booze Traveler…small side note, if you are not watching this show…you are missing out….even if you are not a Booze kind of girl or guy! It’s also been featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. This is easily Thing 4’s favorite place to eat, and it’s a favorite of mine and my parents as well! It’s become a bit of a ritual to swing by Down The Hatch after playing golf on the south side of the island. It’s Lava Lava Shrimp (kind of like Bang Bang Shrimp if you’ve had that), grown up grilled cheese sandwiches, like a lobster and crab stuffed grilled cheese or a spicy chicken grilled cheese, shrimp po boys, and Ahi sandwiches. Quick easy food with a touch of a gourmet twist! So good! Anything you order from here is really yummy! The bonus to eating here is that Breakwall Shave Ice is right inside, or next door??? Kind of hard to explain…so let’s see if these will help…So, Down The Hatch is a block away from the Harbor in Lahaina…you walk down some stairs and it opens up to a large patio/courtyard type area. You walk up to the counter…order your food…take a number and someone brings you what you ordered. Well, right next door to where you order your food for Down The Hatch is Breakwall Shave Ice…you can kind of tell that’s what’s going on in the top picture. The bottom pic and the pic at the very top of this post are of the BEST SHAVE ICE on Maui from Breakwall! Trip Advisor has this one wrong in my opinion. Breakwall makes their natural flavors in house…so they are a tad bit healthier and taste so much better than any of the other shave ice places we’ve been on the island. And for the record, shave ice is not a snow cone…do not go there! Shave ice is so much better! Plus, you can add ice cream in the bottom of it…mind blowing! The consensus favorite in our family is the strawberry guava shave ice with macadamia nut ice cream in the bottom. This place makes me want to buy one of those machines and open up a little place here in Oklahoma, just so that I can have one whenever I want! I believe Breakwall is the only place on the island where you can add some adult beverages to your shave ice…we haven’t ever excersized our option to do that…but I can see the appeal for it, if that’s your thing. Down The Hatch and Breakwall are local favorites, and Down The Hatch offers one of the longest happy hours on the island.
- Captain Jack’s Island Grill. This restaurant was new to me on my last trip, and came as a recommendation from Thing 1, now a Maui resident! We’ve always kind of steered clear of this place because it’s super theme-y (is that a word?) and felt a little cheesy. I mean it’s as Pirate’s Of The Caribbean as it gets in there. But, when I tried their Ono fish and chips and one of their signature drinks, I quickly got over it! They probably have the best fish and chips I’ve tasted on Maui! Hubs and I went during happy hour…which was a great value, and they had excellent live music, and a much cooler vibe than I would have ever imaged! This place pleasantly surprised me!
- South Maui Fish Co. South Maui Fish Co. is actually a food truck with a courtyard. With the owner at the grill, this place truly felt like a backyard barbecue at a friend’s house.
- Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop. This is a family favorite. It sits right off the highway that takes you from the airport into Lahaina. There is nothing but this restaurant, a general store and a fruit stand on a little stretch of highway after the public beaches, but before you get into Lahaina. Do not get your fresh fruit from this fruit stand…it’s terrible! I’ve never see good looking produce there. But, Leoda’s is an amazing little breakfast and sandwich shop that also has a small bakery with the best and most beautiful little individual pies! So, yummy!
It looks like a cute little country kitchen from the south that they just plopped right down on the island! The breakfast here is super yummy! We usually do sandwiches at lunchtime…and grab pies for dessert for after dinner back at our condo! DO NOT MISS the MAC NUT CHOCOLATE PIE! The crust is so light and flakey…so good!!! For sandwiches…the boys love the rueben and the pork, pork, mmmm pork! Everything from here has been really good…I’d venture to say anything you ordered would hit the spot!
Without getting into much detail…there are a couple of restaurants that also need to be noted. Top Chef contestant Sheldon Simeon has opened Tin Roof…we have not yet been there, but it looks amazing…I think that it’s just a pick up lunch kind of place, so that generally doesn’t work well for us…especially when we have all of the boys and my parents with us on our travels. Sheldon also started Star Noodle, which is very popular. It’s excellent…it’s a hard restaurant for Thing 4, but the noodle bowls and kimchi are amazing, and Thing 4 does love the pork buns, which are heavenly, but it’s literally the only thing we could find on the menu that he was willing to try. And lastly Aloha Mixed Plate…it’s been featured on the Food Network. It’s tiny, but the food is good and it’s a great place to be able to try lots of local dishes. It can be hard to get into because of it’s size!
So, that’s it! Hope this helps you in your culinary endeavors on your trip to Maui! Did I miss anything? What are some of your favorite dive restaurants on the island???